A Phiz Lab is a dedicated teaching space for primary science, supporting and encouraging well-resourced science lessons. A Phiz Lab supports the teaching of physics and encourages students to develop a physics identity through hands-on practical science investigations.
The Ogden Trust recognises the positive impact of a dedicated science teaching space within a primary school on pupils, staff and the wider community. As such, each partnership with primary schools has the opportunity to open a Phiz Lab, creating an environment to support teachers and engage pupils.
Once a partnership enters the second year of funding, the co-ordinator can propose a suitable space (often within the hub school) for approval by The Ogden Trust. If the proposal meets the criteria, a grant of £2,500 is awarded to refurbish and equip the Phiz Lab.
Find out more
You can download our Phiz Lab guides in the links below to help you understand more about the process. All applications are made via our grant management system, Flexi-Grant.
All successful Phiz Lab applicants receive a copy of our handbook. You can also download a copy (below) for ideas and inspiration.
The download (below) for the Ogden Phiz Lab Journey provides more information on the application process.
The Phiz Lab:
- is a dedicated science teaching space, with no change of use or removal of equipment or storage, for five years from the point of completion
- is a shared resource for use by each school in the partnership including (but not limited to) science lessons; science meetings; CPD training; enrichment activities; science community events
- promotes collaborative teaching and learning across the partnership
- retains a ‘visual presence’ on the school website, newsletters and relevant media
- is well-maintained
- leader provides annual feedback to the primary partnership lead.
The Phiz Lab environment supports and encourages well-resourced science lessons, outreach and enrichment events, science meetings and CPD. It supports the teaching of physics and encourages students to develop a physics identity through hands-on practical science investigations; two key objectives of the Trust’s mission.
Take a 360° look around the Avonmore Phiz Lab in the image above.
The Kensington West Partnership has raised the profile of physics a Phiz Lab at Avonmore Primary School.
Durham Ferryhill & Chilton
Durham Ferryhill & Chilton Partnership is an active, highly collaborative cluster with a Phiz Lab at the heart of the partnership.
Access further information about who we are, where we are and what we do.