Forming a partnership

What is an Ogden school partnership?
An Ogden school partnership is a group of schools within a local area who want to collaborate on projects that enhance the teaching and learning of physics. They can be a mix of maintained schools, academies, free schools and independent schools. A partnership should include between four and 10 schools, and will be led by a partnership co-ordinator at one of the partnership schools. This school will be the designated hub school and funding will be managed by them. Partnerships can include schools with no specialist physics teachers, schools with a higher than average free school meal percentage, rural schools and any state funded schools. Independent schools can be included and should be encouraged to share their resources and knowledge.

The Ogden school partnerships programme aims to:

  • raise the profile of science, and improve pupils' enjoyment, progress and attainment in science through increasing science capital.
  • enhance teachers' confidence in planning, teaching and assessment of science through CPD.
  • form collaborative partnerships facilitating the continued sharing of best practice.

What funding is available?
The school partnership programme provides funding and support for schools over a period of five years. Partnerships can include both secondary and primary schools. The funding is held by the designated hub school however all members of the partnership should share the workload of organising partnership activities and all schools should be able to access the funded activities.

A partnership can apply for up to £2,500 per academic year for the first three years and £1,000 in the fourth year for activities to enhance the teaching and learning of physics. In the first year of the partnership, a Partnership Teacher Fellowship is available to the co-ordinator at the hub school (in agreement with the headteacher). We strongly encourage schools to take advantage of this fellowship opportunity to help establish the partnership and initial programme of events. In addition to this, the Ogden Trust provides CPD and resources for all schools in the partnership. In the fifth year, partnerships continue to access support and coaching, including Phizzi Forward to support the use of Phizzi CPD resources and curriculum mapping.

What can a partnership spend its funding on?
A partnership is encouraged to organise activities that enhance the teaching and learning of physics. Examples include enrichment activities, trips, events to promote careers awareness, family events and extra-curricular clubs (physics/astronomy). Activities should be accessible to all schools in the partnership.

Making an application
The Ogden Trust aims to launch a new partnership in each region at the beginning of the academic year.

The application round for 2021/22 is now open. Expressions of interest need to be submitted by the end of January; successful applicants will then need to complete the application process, with new partnerships officially starting in September 2021. If you are interested in setting up a new school partnership you will need to register for our grant management system.

The lead school should complete an Expression of interest which is the first stage in joining the School Partnership programme. If successful, you will be invited to stage two where you will collaborate with the named schools in your new partnership and submit a grant application for funding.

Following the expression of interest deadline (1 February), there will be an assessment period to review all submissions. We will email all lead contacts by 31 March.

Further partnership criteria can be found here, or you can contact your nearest regional representative for more information.

If you are interested in joining an existing partnership search our map for partnerships near you. You should then contact the partnership co-ordinator about joining, but please note - schools are only able to formally join a partnership in the new bid round in the summer term. There are other Ogden links on the map, including regional representatives, who may also be able to help you.

  • Share