Established by Sir Peter Ogden in 1999, we are a charitable trust that exists to promote the teaching and learning of physics. We do this by enabling innovative physics teaching to take place in, and collaboratively between, schools, often forging links to universities and other organisations. We address the shortage of physics teachers in the UK by funding programmes that encourage young graduates to go into teaching and by supporting teacher professional development in an effort to enhance retention.
To increase the uptake of physics post-16 by supporting physics education and engagement for all young people (4-18), particularly those in under-represented groups.
School-led partnerships to build
- supportive, collaborative teaching communities
- improvement in physics education & engagement
- enrichment opportunities
- strong environments for physics learning
Support for teachers of physics to provide
- ongoing professional development
- understanding, knowledge & teaching tools
- inspiration, skills and resources for practical physics
- a sense of appreciation and value
Physics opportunities for all through
- leadership, action & ideas
- working with universities, employers & community groups
- equitable access to physics-related enrichment
- understanding and experiencing career pathways from physics
“Physics as a subject has a huge importance in the world today. We are determined to ensure that everyone has access to good quality, inspiring physics education and that no one feels excluded from taking physics further.”
Cameron Ogden, Chair of The Ogden Trust
We aim to increase participation in physics for under-represented groups. The priority audiences for the Trust include teachers without a physics background, teachers and students in remote rural areas or in areas of social deprivation, and students on free school meals.
Diversity, equity and inclusion is central to our mission; you can read about our approach and how we handle diversity monitoring data here.
Find out more
You can find out more about the Trust in our publications.
Ogden Trust Strategy
This publication outlines our strategic priorities for 2021-26.
Trustees' Report and Financial Statements
An overview of the Trust's programmes in 2019-20
Publications and research
A library of publications, reports and research from The Ogden Trust.
Learn more about our central programmes.